ΘνΓΓΙη School of Medicine has a long tradition of excellence in teaching, research and patient care. Established in 1836, the school has the distinction of awarding the first medical degree west of the Mississippi River.
ΘνΓΓΙη School of Medicine includes 720 medical students and more than 650 residents in 62 Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accredited graduate medical residencies and subspecialty residencies, and more than 100 graduate students.
The School of Medicine is an active center of basic, translational and clinical research, including the legacy of Dr. Edward Doisy, Department of Biochemistry professor and chairman from 1923 to 1965, who was awarded the Nobel Prize for his discovery of vitamin K.
ΘνΓΓΙηCare Physician Group, the academic clinical practice, started in 1995, has more than 600 health care providers in hospitals and medical offices throughout the St. Louis region. On July 1, 2022, the partnership between SSM Health and ΘνΓΓΙη SOM strengthened when ΘνΓΓΙηCare Physician Group became the academic medical group of SSM Health.
Faculty, learners, and staff of ΘνΓΓΙη School of Medicine embrace Cura Personalis, the ideal of care for the whole person. Our hospitals and clinics serve a diverse urban population. At ΘνΓΓΙη, principles of social determinants of health and health equity are integrated into medical education.
Mission and Values
The mission of the ΘνΓΓΙη School of Medicine is the pursuit of excellence in education, research, clinical care and community engagement through professional development, collaboration and social justice.
- Cura Personalis β€“ Care for the whole person, rooted in the Ignatian principle that God created us to do good in the world, and embracing the humanity in all
- Scholarship β€“ Delivering transformative education and creating new knowledge
- Discovery β€“ Research, scientific inquiry, and the application of that knowledge
- Equity β€“ Striving for justice, fairness, and diversity in our education, research and service to the community
- Collaboration β€“ Partnership across ΘνΓΓΙη, SSM Health and the wider community