Service is big at ΘνΓΓΙη. ΘνΓΓΙη community members provide more than 1.6 million volunteer hours and work with more than 500 organizations each year.
Maybe thatβs because there has been a ΘνΓΓΙη almost as long as there has been a city of St. Louis itself.
Since 1818, ΘνΓΓΙη has worked to alleviate ignorance, poverty, injustice and hunger and has extended compassionate care to the ill and the needy. At our core is our service-focused Jesuit mission and our goal to maintain and improve the quality of life for all people.
- Each year, ΘνΓΓΙη freshman participate in a day of service to connect with each other and the community.
- ΘνΓΓΙη's Showers of Service event, sponsored the service fraternity, brings 2,000 students and ΘνΓΓΙη community members together for a campus-wide day of service each spring.
- ΘνΓΓΙη was the site of the countryβs first and is home to one of the nationβs topΒ-five college and university events.
- Billikens join forces with non-profits such as and Big Brothers, Big Sisters and β when they see a need β start their own.
- Alumni from ΘνΓΓΙη have gone on to propose solutions for food deserts, start schools for delinquent teens and deliver the youth keynote address to the United Nations.
Facts & Figures
million service hours completed by the ΘνΓΓΙη community each year
meals prepared and delivered to those in need by ΘνΓΓΙη's Campus Kitchen in 2022
in community service among U.S. universities, according to the Princeton Review
community engagement courses offered at ΘνΓΓΙη
What is Service Learning?
Service is so ingrained at ΘνΓΓΙη, itβs part of the curriculum. This goes far beyond volunteering and works to address the root cause of a problem.
More than 180 courses on the St. Louis campus each semester involve service learning; students volunteer in the St. Louis community β and earn credit β as part of their classes.
Other students are eligible to work up to 15 hours a week at a non-Βprofit agency as part of ΘνΓΓΙηβs Community Service Federal Work Study Program, or take part in a sixΒ-part Social Justice and Advocacy Training series.